WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – New York state is full of fun facts and history that both natives and out-of-state residents may not be aware of, reports Movoto.
According to the report, Westchester native Washington Irving created the term "Gotham" for New York City as an insult; Washington Square Park, Bryant Park, Union Square Park and Madison Square Park were all cemeteries at one time; and women can go topless as long as it's not for business purposes.
To read more fun facts about New York state, click here.
- 1 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 2 Bar Scuffle Puts Harrison Police, Town Board At Odds
- 3 Harrison Woman Walks In Memory Of Son Who Died Of Cancer
- 4 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 5 Harrison's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend