HARRISON, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently ranked Harrison as the sixth-best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. Census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student to teacher ratio)
- Total crimes
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax)
- Commute time
- Weather (temperature and air quality)
Harrison was ranked seventh in both total crimes and taxes, it also placed fourth in unemployment. The town of more than 27,000 also placed 14th in weather quality.
The overall score of 25.14 for Harrison placed it just out of the top five spots which were held by Mamaroneck, Tarrytown, White Plains Mount Kisco and Scarsdale.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top ten, taking ten spots. Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) all made the top ten.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers all sat outside the top ten ranking 12th through 14th, respectively.
- 1 Harrison High Grads 'Are Braver Than You Believe, Smarter Than You Think'
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three
- 5 Harrison Residents Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring