PURCHASE, N.Y. - Firefighters responded to a house fire in Purchase Thursday afternoon after an occupant of the home discovered the flames.
Harrison native Jordan Romer was home from New York City for the holidays at his mother Meri Cutler's Purchase home at 37 Old Lyme Rd. when he discovered flames in the house. He immediately called the West Harrison Fire Department, who responded to the scene around 2:40 p.m. Romer said his mother was out for lunch at the moment he noticed the fire.
There were no reported injuries in the blaze.
"I'm glad I came back when I did," Romer said. "Once I heard the fire alarm going and saw the black smoke, I called the fire department."
Romer also called Purchase Fire Chief and longtime friend Joseph Brefere, Jr., who responded within minutes.
Assistant West Harrison Fire Chief Michael Pellegrino said what's most likely a electrical fire originated between the home's first floor and basement, eventually burning a hole through to the second floor. The fire originated in a small contained room towards the back of the home and firefighters extinguished the flames within minutes.
"We were able to get in there pretty quickly and stomp on it," Pellegrino said. He added that it may at least one week before the occupants of the home could move back in.
Smoke was seen coming out of the second story of the house.
Cutler, a social worker at Greenwich High School, was in tears outside the home where she currently lives alone alongside neighbors and emergency officials as firefighters extinguished the blaze. The Valhalla Fire Department, Purchase Fire Department, the West Harrison Fire Department, the Harrison Emergency Services, Harrison Police and Consolidated Edison were all on the scene.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.