WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. - Rye Brook's David Gelfarb received an endorsement this week from New Yorkers for Growth, one of the state's leading fiscal reform groups. He was one of eight candidates in the Westchester Board of Legislators race endorsed in an announcement Tuesday, cited as a "significant impact on the future of the highest property-taxed county in America," a statement said.
"Each of these candidates represents tax relief, responsible fiscal policies, open government, and job growth in Westchester County," New Yorkers for Growth spokesperson and former Larchmont Mayor Liz Feld said. "County Executive Astorino's historic victory in 2009 is not yet complete. He needs allies on the Board of Legislators to green-light his tax and spending reforms.
The county's Nov. 8 elections will help determine whether or not County Executive Rob Astorino will be able to administer his tax relief and job growth agenda. "The current supermajority in the Democrat-led Board of Legislators has blocked virtually every fiscal reform Mr. Astorino has proposed for the county - 247 of them last year alone," the New-Yorkers-for-Growth statement said.
That 12-5 supermajority would be broken if a single New Yorkers for Growth endorsed candidate were to be elected. "New Yorkers for Growth is proud to recommend these eight candidates to Westchester voters who want to break the log-jam of special interests in their county government," Feld said.
The eight New-Yorkers-for-Growth-endorsed candidates are:
- Peter Michaelis (Dist. 2: Somers, Bedford, Mount Kisco, North Salem, Lewisboro, Pound Ridge)
- Michael Smith (Dist. 3: Mount Pleasant, Pleasantville, North Castle)
- Dr. Terrence Murphy (Dist. 4: Yorktown, New Castle, Somers)
- Dr. Iris Pagan (Dist. 5: White Plains, Scarsdale)
- David Gelfarb (Dist. 6: Harrison, Rye Brook, Port Chester)
- Suzanna Keith (Dist. 7: Mamaroneck, Rye, Larchmont, Harrison, New Rochelle)
- Susan Konig (Dist. 9: Cortlandt, Croton on Hudson, Ossining, Briarcliff Manor, Peekskill)
- Sheila Marcotte (Dist. 10: Eastchester, Tuckahoe, New Rochelle)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.