LARCHMONT, N.Y. -- A Larchmont family is out of a home Saturday after a basement fire left it uninhabitable, said Town of Mamaroneck Fire Chief Brendan Collins.
A resident walking by the 46 Brookside Drive single-family home reported the fire around 11:15 a.m. Firefighters determined the fire started in the basement when no one was home.
"The stairs weren't safe to use, so we had to cut a hole in the first floor to get to the basement," said Collins, who added there were no injuries.
The Building Department has declared the house uninhabitable, and the family did not require assistance to find a temporary residence.
In addition to the Town of Mamaroneck, the villages of Mamaroneck and Larchmont, the City of New Rochelle and the village of Scarsdale fire departments all responded to the scene of the fire. The Village of Harrison Fire Department responded to the Weaver Street firehouse to provide stand-by support in case of another call for assistance.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.