HARRISON, N.Y. – Manhattanville College students will participate in One Billion Rising, a worldwide one-day event held on Feb. 14 to raise awareness of and stop abuse against women.
“One Billion Rising is a promise that we will rise up with women and men worldwide to say, ‘Enough! The violence ends now,’” said the One Billion Rising website.
One of every three women on the planet are raped or beaten in their lifetime, according to the One Billion Rising website.
Manhattanville’s candlelight vigil was put together by The Connie Hogarth Center for Social Action on campus.
“The women and men of Manhattanville College and members of the community will walk in a candlelight vigil around the campus to join the worldwide event to demand the end of the global crisis of violence against women,” a press release said.
Other organizations, such as Amnesty International USA, MTV and Zumba Fitness, plan to participate in the event at other locations.
Those participating in the Manhattanville event are to meet in front of Reid Castle at 7 p.m. for the candlelight walk around campus. You are asked to wear something purple and bring a candle.
For more information on the event, call the Connie Hogarth Center at 914-323-7156.
- 1 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 2 Bar Scuffle Puts Harrison Police, Town Board At Odds
- 3 Harrison Woman Walks In Memory Of Son Who Died Of Cancer
- 4 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 5 Harrison's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend