HARRISON, N.Y. – Manhattanville College students will participate in One Billion Rising, a worldwide one-day event held on Feb. 14 to raise awareness of and stop abuse against women.
“One Billion Rising is a promise that we will rise up with women and men worldwide to say, ‘Enough! The violence ends now,’” said the One Billion Rising website.
One of every three women on the planet are raped or beaten in their lifetime, according to the One Billion Rising website.
Manhattanville’s candlelight vigil was put together by The Connie Hogarth Center for Social Action on campus.
“The women and men of Manhattanville College and members of the community will walk in a candlelight vigil around the campus to join the worldwide event to demand the end of the global crisis of violence against women,” a press release said.
Other organizations, such as Amnesty International USA, MTV and Zumba Fitness, plan to participate in the event at other locations.
Those participating in the Manhattanville event are to meet in front of Reid Castle at 7 p.m. for the candlelight walk around campus. You are asked to wear something purple and bring a candle.
For more information on the event, call the Connie Hogarth Center at 914-323-7156.
- 1 More Than 1,000 Attend Slain Sisters' Funeral In Harrison
- 2 Bishop Asks Harrison To Recall Hochman Sisters' Goodness At Funeral
- 3 Suicide Note Left By Former White Plains Police Officer Tops Week's News
- 4 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48