HARRISON, N.Y. – A memorial service has been set for the 54-year-old Harrison man who collapsed during the Sleepy Hollow Halloween 10K and later died.
Family and friends will have a wake for Steven Gates from 6-9 p.m. Friday at the All Saints Church in Harrison. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Mamaroneck.
Gates worked as a music executive at RCA Victor and at his own venture, Steven M. Gates Music, before his death. Friends are establishing a memorial fund in Gates' memory to provide for his children's education.
Gates was running in the 10K race last Saturday when he collapsed in the Sleepy Hollow Manor portion. He was taken to Phelps Memorial Hospital and later pronounced dead. Sleepy Hollow Police Chief Gregory Camp notes two ambulances and a paramedic were in service on the day of the race, with a second paramedic standing by.
Several meetings were held between village officials and race organizers before the event, Camp added. “Safety of the public is always a top priority when holding these events,” he said.
Police are conducting a thorough investigation into Gates' death and will release a report when it's finished, Camp said.
- 1 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 2 22-Year-Old Drowning Victim ID'd; Schools Superintendent's Stepson
- 3 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash
- 4 Passengers Stranded For Hours Overnight On Metro-North's New Haven Line
- 5 Yonkers Man, 22, Drowns In Surf Off New Jersey Shore