WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- James McNair, the Peekskill man killed in the multi-vehicle crash that has left actor/comedian Tracy Morgan in critical condition, was himself a popular comedian and a friend of Morgan's.
The chain-reaction accident, on the New Jersey Turnpike just north of Trenton, occurred early Saturday morning when a truck rear-ended a limo bus in which McNair, 62, was a passenger, causing the Mercedes Benz sprinter to overturn, according to reports. Six vehicles were involved in the accident.
The driver of the truck, Kevin Roper of Jonesboro, Ga., has been charged with four counts of assault by auto and death by auto. McNair and Morgan, 45, were en route from a performance at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Delaware.
McNair, known as "Uncle Jimmy Mack," left a construction job to become a comedian and befriended Morgan at the Uptown Comedy Club in Harlem, according to LoHud.com.
Several of McNair's standup routines are on McNair's YouTube channel, including his "Hood to the Good" performance at Peekskill Christian Center in 2010.
Funeral arrangements for McNair have not been announced.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact Harrison On Wednesday
- 2 Woman, 19, Hospitalized After Jump Onto Sprain Brook Parkway
- 3 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 4 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 5 Memorial Sloan Kettering In West Harrison Holds Jewelry, Accessories Sale