HARRISON, N.Y. – Barbara Burtis Deegan, a former Harrison resident, died Dec. 28 at Waveny Care Center in New Canaan, Conn. She was 87.
Born April 4, 1925, in Brooklyn, Deegan was the daughter of T. Alfred and Faith Walsh Burtis. She graduated from The Ursuline School in New Rochelle and received a bachelor’s degree in economics from Trinity College in Washington, D.C.
Deegan became an elementary school teacher and taught at Most Holy Trinity School in Mamaroneck for 20 years. She most recently was a resident of New Canaan for 18 years.
She is survived by two sons, William Joseph Deegan Jr., of Ossining, and Michael Francis (Barbara) Deegan, of Asheville, N.C.; three daughters, Mary Catherine (Richard) Sheils, of Holden, Mass., Gaynor Deegan (Keith) Luke, of New Canaan, and Elizabeth Deegan (Peter) Sackel, of Orlando, Fla.; a brother, T. Alfred Burtis Jr., of Harrison; two sisters, Constance Burtis McGillicuddy, of Harrison, and Faith Burtis Doyle, of Miami; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
She was predeceased by a daughter, Faith Ellen Deegan; a sister, Gaynor Burtis Houghton; and her former husband, Dr. William Joseph Deegan.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Matthew Church in Norwalk, Conn.. Burial will follow at Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye. Hoyt Funeral Home in New Canaan is handling the arrangements.
- 1 Harrison High Grads 'Are Braver Than You Believe, Smarter Than You Think'
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three
- 5 Harrison Residents Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring