HARRISON, N.Y. – Mildred Lemos, one-time "Harrison Citizen of the Year," died Aug. 19. She was 105.
The daughter of Elizabeth and John Stephens, she was born May 5, 1907. Lemos worked as a teacher in Harrison for 40 years. She worked 20 years at Parsons Memorial School and 20 years at Pleasant Ridge School. She retired in 1973 at the age of 66.
She was married to Joseph "Norman" Lemos, who predeceased her. In 2007, to help celebrate her 100th birthday, the town of Harrison honored Lemos as "Citizen of the Year."
Lemos was predeceased by nine siblings. She is survived by several nieces and nephews.
Visitation and funeral services were held Wednesday at Harrison Funeral Home. A private burial service will take place Thursday at Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale, N.Y.
- 1 Harrison Resident Killed In Mount Vernon Shooting
- 2 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 3 Mrs. Westchester Charged With Stealing From Group Home
- 4 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 5 Amber Alert Canceled After Missing Child Is Found Unharmed