HARRISON, N.Y. -- Harrison Police will be ramping up patrols over Independence Day weekend to help keep drunk drivers off the roads.
According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data, the Fourth of July is one of the most deadly holidays for drunk driving with 78 people killed in alcohol impaired-driving crashes in 2012.
In order to avoid driving drunk, the Harrison Police Department is offering the following tips:
- Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend, family member, or use public transportation.
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911.
- If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get where they are going safely.