PURCHASE, N.Y. – Lightning struck a Purchase home about 5 p.m. Friday, touching off a fire that left a family displaced for at least one night and injured one firefighter.
The fire, at 1 Augusta Court, was quickly contained by firefighters from the Purchase and West Harrison fire departments. The town of Mamaroneck Fire Department was called in for backup.
Neighbors saw smoke coming from the roof of the home shortly after the lightning strike and knocked on the door to alert the family, a fire department spokesman said. Family members left the home as heavy smoked rose from the roof tiles.
Firefighters cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the smoke, then extinguished the flames.
One firefighter, whose identity was unavailable, suffered a minor leg injury and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
The family must find other accommodations for at least one night, the spokesman said.
More heavy weather, including potentially dangerous thunderstorms with high winds, are predicted for Saturday.
- 1 Three Brothers From Harrison Open Healthy Cafe In Mamaroneck
- 2 Jeanine Pirro's Home In Harrison Listed By Coldwell Banker Agent
- 3 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority
- 4 Purchase's Joe Girardi Adds App Designer To His Resume
- 5 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Harrison