Contact Us
Harrison Daily Voice serves Harrison, NY

Menu

Harrison Daily Voice serves Harrison, NY

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Rye Firefighters Respond To Gas Leak At Elementary School

City of Rye firefighters responded to Milton Elementary School on Wednesday morning after a report of a gas odor. Students were evacuated outdoors for about 20 minutes. No one was hurt.
City of Rye firefighters responded to Milton Elementary School on Wednesday morning after a report of a gas odor. Students were evacuated outdoors for about 20 minutes. No one was hurt. Photo Credit: Jon Craig
Elementary school students at Milton School in Rye were evacuated for about 20 minutes on Wednesday morning as firefighters responded to the second report of a gas odor in two days. School officials suspect a leaky oven in the school's cafeteria.
Elementary school students at Milton School in Rye were evacuated for about 20 minutes on Wednesday morning as firefighters responded to the second report of a gas odor in two days. School officials suspect a leaky oven in the school's cafeteria. Photo Credit: Jon Craig

RYE, N.Y. -- Firefighters responded to Milton Elementary School in Rye on Wednesday morning after a report of a gas odor.

Sarah Derman, a school district spokeswoman, said a minor leak from an oven in school's cafeteria was suspected. The school is located off of Milton Avenue.

Derman said Milton students were evacuated outside for about 20 minutes along Hewlett Avenue.

No one was hurt and classes resumed by 11 a.m., officials said.

Rye City Schools Superintendent Frank Alvarez sent this notice to parents on Wednesday:

"As you know, Milton School has been evacuated briefly twice in the past two days. Both alarms were triggered by an odor of gas in the cafeteria area. A valve in one of the cafeteria’s ovens was replaced on Tuesday, but the issue re-occurred on Wednesday. All of Milton’s ovens are now undergoing a thorough examination with the Fire Department present."

"Please be assured that the students, faculty and staff were never in any danger - the Fire Department’s gas-detection meters have been in place since Tuesday’s alarm and have at no time registered levels that would cause concern. The Fire Department will return early tomorrow morning to make sure no gas is present," "Alvarez wrote.

Welcome to

Harrison Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.