HARRISON, N.Y. -- The students from Harrison's S.J. Preston Elementary School recently participated in the first Disability Awareness Day.
All of Preston’s students had the opportunity to experience visual, fine-motor, and physical impairments through numerous activities. Throughout the school day, students were able to meet and talk with Christan Zaccagnino, a family member of Preston teacher Sue Etre, who was paralyzed at the age of 10 in a swimming pool accident.
“Christan’s remarkable enthusiasm toward life, despite her injury, has been an inspiration to everyone she meets,” physical education teacher Susan Spielhotlz said in a statement. “She inspired us by sharing her own life lessons: Work hard, believe in yourself, and go after your dreams. The entire day was a great learning experience for everyone!”
- 1 Harrison High School Ranks Among New York State's Best
- 2 Greenwich Bank Robbed At Gunpoint; Police Seek Female Suspect
- 3 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Harrison; 6-12 Inches Of Snow Likely
- 4 Snow Likely Overnight Thursday In Harrison
- 5 Police Release More Photos Of Gun-Toting Woman Who Robbed Greenwich Bank