HARRISON, N.Y. -- The Harrison High School Model Congress team won nine awards at the annual Princeton Model Congress Conference in Washington D.C.
Harrison students earned four Best Speaker in Committee Gavel awards and five Honorable Mentions.
“A combination of big personalities and differing opinions made up our team this conference; and despite political differences and spirited debate, they ultimately become a close knit group of students who supported and encouraged their teammates the entire weekend,” said the HHS Model Congress Club Secretary Samara Lipman. “The trip was not only an amazing experience, but also one of our most successful conferences yet.”
Those earning recognition were:
Best Speaker in Committee: (Gavel)
- Spencer Korek: Red House, Government Reform
- Samara Lipman: White Senate, Environment and Public Works
- Matthew Schwartz: Orange Senate, Appropriations
- Keon Azar: Blue House, Judiciary
- Jessica Hart: White House, Education and Workforce
- Ethan Evans: Orange House, Science and Technology
- Matthew Griff: Blue Senate, Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Mark Rossi: Orange Senate, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Leslie An: Blue Senate, Full Session
In Legislation, Harrison’s team had 22 of its 23 bills passed in committee, and two bills were recommended to full session.
In addition to participating in the conference, HHS Model Congress members took trips to Georgetown University, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and the National Mall including The National World War II Veterans Memorial, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.