HARRISON, N.Y. -- The Harrison High School Business Club is heading to the National DECA competition in Atlanta.
Harrison High School Business Club members placed in first at the New York state DECA Conference and Business Competition in March in Rochester. Senior Sam Colangelo and junior Michael Gaudreau captured first place in their respective events and qualified for the National DECA competition to be held in Atlanta in May.
This national event hosts more than 14,000 students who have qualified in one of DECA’s competitive events. Advisers, businesspersons and alumni engage the students in competition as well as leadership and career advancing academies, according to a press release.
“All of Harrison’s students represented themselves in a professional manner in and out of the competitions, and we are all very proud of them,” said Joe Santo, HHS Business Club adviser, in the release.
Colangelo won in the Business Finance Services category, and Gaudreau won in the category of Principles of Finance.
Of the 27 HHS students who qualified and attended the state competition, eight placed in the top 10 in New York state in their respective events, and three students excelled to the top three, according to the release.
Individual results are as follows, according to the release:
Top 10 of New York state in their respective events were:
- Muhammad Ahmed – Principles of Marketing.
- Erica Dattero – Food Marketing.
- Aaron Kaplan – Sports and Entertainment Marketing.
- Joesph Lagani – Principles of Marketing.
- Dan Maldonado – Sports and Entertainment Marketing.
- Amina Naddaschar – Principles of Business Management and Administration.
- Dan Quinn – Restaurant and Food Service Management.
- Brett Saviano – Business Services Marketing.
Top 3 of New York state in their respective events were:
- Junior Cabrera – Decision Making Marketing (second place).
- Ally Huhne – Public Service Visual Advertising (third place).
- Teddy Maguire – Job Interview (finalist).
- 1 West Harrison Student, 23, Struck, Killed By Car While Walking Near Cornell
- 2 Harrison High School Ranks Among New York State's Best
- 3 Greenwich Bank Robbed At Gunpoint; Police Seek Female Suspect
- 4 Storm System Departs Harrison, Snow Could Return Thursday
- 5 Snow Likely Overnight Thursday In Harrison