HARRISON, N.Y. – The board of education accepted Harrison High School Principal Dr. James Ruck’s resignation last night. Ruck, who came out of retirement to take the job six years ago, will retire again at the end of the 2012-13 school year.
“When we hired Dr. Ruck he said that he was willing to do it for a short period of time,” said Superintendent Louis Wool. “That was six years ago. I don’t think we would be where we are today if Jim didn’t agree to come out of retirement.”
Other news from the April 11 BOE meeting:
- The BOE accepted books for the Samuel J. Preston Elementary School library donated by Brownie Troop 2466 as well as accepted the calendar for the 2012-13 school year.
- The BOE approved a contract with the Ardsley school district to pay $1,294.95 for health services for a student from Harrison attending that district.
- A DJ from Double Image Sounds & Entertainment was approved for a dance at Louis M. Klein Middle School on April 27.
- Arcadia Floral Company was awarded a contract to provide floral services for this year’s senior prom, while Gentile Construction of Yonkers had their bid accepted for stonemasonry services. Landwork Contractors of Cortlandt Manor won a bid for commercial landscaping services on school property while Pearl River Plumbing’s bid for pneumatic controls was approved. The BOE also awarded a contract to Indoor Air Technologies of Victor, N.Y. for duct cleaning.
- The BOE extended the contract of Coach Tours for transportation for field trips and athletic events, while the only bid to surface clean and re-grout the pool at the middle school was rejected. The district is now soliciting new bids for that project.
- The board approved disposing of equipment, supplies, library books and textbooks deemed obsolete.