HARRISON, N.Y. -- The Harrison High School varsity boys and girls track and field teams have reclaimed the League IIIA Conference Championships.
The teams took the championships for the second consecutive year and finished near the top in nearly every event, according to a press release. The boys team won the championship with 172 points, followed by Rye with 74 points, Fox Lane with 64, Byram Hills with 46 points, and Horace Greeley with 43, according to the release. The girls team’s total was 147 points. Fox Lane finished in second place with 87 points, followed by Rye with 62, Byram Hills with 59 and Horace Greeley with 42 points.
“We as coaches were so proud to see that the No.1 priority of our athletes was to represent the name of our school and our town,” said coach Dominic Zanot. “In addition to the dominating performances during the competition, our teams were role models for the other schools on how to take an 'individual' sport and turn it into a true team environment.”
In the past decade, the Harrison High School varsity boys and girls track and field teams have won the league championships six times. The girls have been victorious for six consecutive years beginning in 2009, and the boys were crowned champions in 2006, '07, '08, '11, '13 and '14.
The following were league champions by event, according to the release:
Girls track and field
- 4 x 400 relay: Marissa Gazzola, Erica LaManna, Ella Eisinger, Christine Cardascia
- Discus: Kyle Lefkowitz
- 200-meter: Jia Luo
- Triple jump: Chloe Schettino
- Long jump: Emily Dugoff
- Pentathalon: Lea Sarmiento
Boys track and field
- 4 x 100 Relay: Deven Jacobi, Dan Quinn, Ezra Lieblich, Giovanni Valdes-Fauli
- Discus: Jeremy Altamuro
- Shot put: Jeremy Altamuro
- 100-meter: Deven Jacobi
- 110 hurdles: Giovanni Valdes-Fauli
- 200-meter: Dan Quinn
- Triple jump: Alexis Ledesma
- Long jump: Deven Jacobi
- Pole vault: Michael Sin
- 400 hurdles: Alexis Ledesma
- Pentathalon: Hunter Sable
The Harrison High teams will compete in the Section 1 Championships on Friday, May 23.
- 1 Harrison Residents Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 4 Quenas In Harrison Reviewed By The New York Times
- 5 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director