HARRISON, N.Y. – Parents have shown up in force at the last two Town Board meetings looking for a long-term solution to school safety after the Newtown, Conn., shootings last month.
What long-term plan would you like to see put into place to keep your children safe at school?View Results
What long-term plan would you like to see put into place to keep your children safe at school?
Harrison Police Officer33%
Student Resource Officer20%
Armed Staff Member0%
Bulletproof Glass and Locked Doors13%
Parents are glad to see a police officer at each district school for now, but many say that is not the right solution in the end, a view also held by Harrison Police Chief Anthony Marraccini.
Marriccini would prefer to see the Student Resource Officer program returned to LMK Middle School and Harrison High School. Resource officers are placed in the schools not to provide security but to connect with the students.
However, some parents feel assigning officers as security is the best option.
"I am happy to hear that the police will stay in the schools," Jennifer Berendt said on The Harrison Daily Voice's Facebook page. "This is our children we are talking about. School is supposed to be a safe place."
What do you believe is the best long-term solution to school safety in Harrison? Vote in the poll and comment below.
- 1 More Than 1,000 Attend Slain Sisters' Funeral In Harrison
- 2 Bishop Asks Harrison To Recall Hochman Sisters' Goodness At Funeral
- 3 Hundreds Pay Respects To Hochman Sisters Of Harrison During Calling Hours
- 4 Mourners Gather In Harrison, Seeking Solace After Hochman Shooting Deaths
- 5 Harrison Vigil To Remember Slain Hochman Sisters