GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Woodlands High School product Reece Williams, a reserve guard for the University of Albany men's basketball team, will travel to Orlando, Fla., for the opening round of the NCAA Men's Tournament after the Great Danes narrowly defeated Mount St. Mary's 71-64 in Dayton, Ohio Tuesday.
Albany was one of the First Four, teams that play to advance to first-round matchups Thursday and Friday.
The Danes (19-14) are representing the America East Conference will meet No. 1 seed Florida Thursday, March 20 in a South Regional opener to be televised on CBS-TV at 4:20 p.m. ET.
The victory was the first for the Danes in an NCAA men's basketball tournament. Albany lost to powerhouse Duke in last year's opening round
Williams, a sophomore White Plains native who graduated Woodlands High School in 2013, is in his second NCAA tournament with the Danes.
"I guess you could say that I'm a "veteran," but it certainly does not get old," Williams said after the Danes learned of their bid Sunday afternoon. "However, this year is different from last year; we have a much quicker turn around."
Albany finished its game Tuesday just after 8:30 p.m. then were off to Orlando to prepare for the Gators.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Harrison; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Harrison, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Harrison
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 Harrison Approves More Parking Restrictions In Crackdown On Train Commuters