HARRISON, N.Y. -- Congratulations are in order for many of the athletes and coaches at Harrison High School.
Nine of the school's 10 varsity teams have earned the distinction of "Scholar-Athlete Team" from the New York State Public High School Athletic Association.
This year, to achieve the honor, the average GPA of 75 percent of a team's total roster had to be at least a 90 percent. Individual athletes who made that mark were still eligible for a "Scholar-Athlete" designation, however, even if their team as a whole didn't make the cut.Here are the nine Scholar-Athlete Teams, their academic averages -- with the highest listed first -- and their coaches:
- Varsity Girls Cross Country, 96.22 percent -- Head Coach Charles Bennett, Assistant Coach Timothy Poole-DiSalvo
- Varsity Girls Tennis, 94.98 percent -- Head Coach Quan Huynh
- Varsity Volleyball, 93.49 percent -- Head Coach Shari Light, Assistant Coach Jaclyn Cappichionni
- Varsity Field Hockey, 93.35 percent -- Co-Head Coach Rachel Soychak, Co-Head Coach Christy Carty
- Varsity Girls Soccer, 92.92 percent -- Head Coach Jon-Erik Zappala, Assistant Coach Lindsey Reilly
- Varsity Cheer, 91.72 percent -- Head Coach Julia Brefere, Assistant Coach Angeline DiSante
- Varsity Boys Cross Country, 90.98 percent -- Head Coach Charles Bennett, Assistant Coach Timothy Poole-DiSalvo
- Varsity Girls Swim, 90.89 percent -- Head Coach Phil Dearstyne, Assistant Coach Kevin Lavelle
- Varsity Boys Soccer, 90.01 percent -- Head Coach Matthew Pringle, Assistant Coach Antonio Corrado
In addition to the teams, 137 students have been recognized as Scholar-Athletes for their individual achievements. For more information about how this honor is calculated, click here.