HARRISON, N.Y. – The Harrison varsity wrestling team added a record to its history books Saturday.
Harrison went 4-0 to win the Byram Hills Dual Meet wrestling tournament, improving to 14-3 on the season. In doing so, Harrison established a program single-season record with 14 wins, surpassing the former mark of 12, set in 2004-05.
“It was great for the kids to win a tournament,” veteran Harrison coach Vinny Nicita said. “This shows our younger guys what it takes to win. A lot of our older wrestlers worked hard during the offseason. Hopefully, the younger guys carry it through the remainder of the season and into the offseason.”
Harrison beat Burke Catholic, Rye Country Day School, Irvington and Carmel, in the final. The Huskies will wrestle Rye on Tuesday and, with a victory, have Fox Lane on Thursday for the league title.
“Our goal coming into the season was to put ourselves in position to win a league,” Nicita said. “Even though we lost to Port Chester and Fox Lane at the Carlucci, we knew we were right there with them.”
Harrison, which finished fourth at the Tony Carlucci Dual Meet tournament, rebounded to defeat Port Chester in a league match.
- 1 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 2 New York Archdiocese Likely To Merge More Parishes
- 3 Arrest Of 'Bicycle Bandit' Ends Rash Of 15 Robberies In Westchester
- 4 Amber Alert Issued For 5-Year-Old Forcibly Taken By Two Men
- 5 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Harrison