HARRISON, N.Y. – The Harrison varsity wrestling team added a record to its history books Saturday.
Harrison went 4-0 to win the Byram Hills Dual Meet wrestling tournament, improving to 14-3 on the season. In doing so, Harrison established a program single-season record with 14 wins, surpassing the former mark of 12, set in 2004-05.
“It was great for the kids to win a tournament,” veteran Harrison coach Vinny Nicita said. “This shows our younger guys what it takes to win. A lot of our older wrestlers worked hard during the offseason. Hopefully, the younger guys carry it through the remainder of the season and into the offseason.”
Harrison beat Burke Catholic, Rye Country Day School, Irvington and Carmel, in the final. The Huskies will wrestle Rye on Tuesday and, with a victory, have Fox Lane on Thursday for the league title.
“Our goal coming into the season was to put ourselves in position to win a league,” Nicita said. “Even though we lost to Port Chester and Fox Lane at the Carlucci, we knew we were right there with them.”
Harrison, which finished fourth at the Tony Carlucci Dual Meet tournament, rebounded to defeat Port Chester in a league match.
- 1 Police Asking Public's Help In Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 2 Fireworks Prompt Residents Near Metropolis Country Club To Fear Attack
- 3 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 4 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 5 Body Pulled From Hudson ID'd As Missing Kayaker In Murder Case