WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- The Haldane Blue Devils from Cold Spring broke open a tied game after halftime Friday and went on to a 49-32 victory over Keio Academy in the Section 1 Class C girls basketball championship at the Westrchester County Center.
Haldane, a traditional small-school girls powerhouse, won its 21st Section 1 title since 1989 and first since 2009. The Blue Devils move on to next week's state regional playoffs.
Keio's Sae Toyomura kept her team in the game in the first half, scoring 19 of her 20 points to help forge a 28-28 tie. But the Blue Devils held Toyomura scoreless in the third quarter and raced to a 43-30 lead heading into the fourth.
Allie Monteleone, who had 13 in the first half for Haldane, finished with a team-high 20 points and was named the tournament's most valuable player.
- 1 Woman, 19, Hospitalized After Jump Onto Sprain Brook Parkway
- 2 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Memorial Sloan Kettering In West Harrison Holds Jewelry, Accessories Sale
- 5 Harrison Youth Council Honors Family Counselor Sabina Perez