WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- The Haldane Blue Devils from Cold Spring broke open a tied game after halftime Friday and went on to a 49-32 victory over Keio Academy in the Section 1 Class C girls basketball championship at the Westrchester County Center.
Haldane, a traditional small-school girls powerhouse, won its 21st Section 1 title since 1989 and first since 2009. The Blue Devils move on to next week's state regional playoffs.
Keio's Sae Toyomura kept her team in the game in the first half, scoring 19 of her 20 points to help forge a 28-28 tie. But the Blue Devils held Toyomura scoreless in the third quarter and raced to a 43-30 lead heading into the fourth.
Allie Monteleone, who had 13 in the first half for Haldane, finished with a team-high 20 points and was named the tournament's most valuable player.
- 1 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 2 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 3 Manhattanville College Hosts Press Conference On Combating Sexual Assaults
- 4 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Grows, Report Says
- 5 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police