YONKERS, N.Y. – Yonkers resident Dan Fiorito is just two weeks away from his first spring training camp with the New York Yankees.
The Manhattanville College star shortstop signed a minor league deal with the Yanks in August.
Fiorito, a Fordham Prep graduate and three-year standout at Manhattanville, where he graduated last spring, heads to the Bombers' camp in Tampa, Fla., on Feb. 18.
"Everything is going well," Fiorito said. "As of now I'm just working on hitting and defense every morning at Frozen Ropes in Elmsford, followed by working out with head Yankees strength coach Dana Cavalea in White Plains. I'll be driving down to Florida [next week]."
Fiorito realized a lifelong dream last summer when he was contacted by the Yankees about a tryout. He was invited to Tampa for a workout and immediately signed to play in the minors.
“Born and raised in Yonkers and being a diehard Yankees fan made it all the more special," Fiorito said. "After signing, I called my dad, mom, family and friends, and it was a dream come true."
Fiorito finished his Manhattanville career third all-time in home runs (21), fourth in slugging percentage (.648), sixth in runs scored (116) and total bases (258), seventh in batting average (.397) and runs batted in (108), and 10th in hits (158) and on-base percentage (.474).
He continued his education in a post-graduate program last fall.
- 1 Police Investigating Reports Of Shots Fired In Harrison
- 2 Man Clocked At 107 On I-684 Charged With Drug Possession, DWI, Police Say
- 3 Voters Say Purchase Free Library Should Not Be Evicted From Community House
- 4 Rough Rides Abound After Brutal Winter Takes Toll On Westchester Roads
- 5 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train